21 Fun Ways to Celebrate National Astronaut Day with Kids!
Planning on celebrating National Astronaut Day with the kids this year and looking for some fun activities? We can help! Our list of 21 ways to celebrate National Astronaut Day, on May 5, with your family should make for a day that’s out of this world! Pun 100% intended!
Now, before we get to the list, one way we celebrate National Astronaut Day on May 5, and every other national day throughout the year during our homeschool day, is to do a quick writing prompt! Depending on the day, a quick National Day writing prompt will take my boys no more than 10 minutes to do and serves as a fun way to chat about the national day theme for the day! Whether you’re homeschooling your kids, teaching elementary-level students, or just looking for a fun way to get them writing, you should totally check out our National Day writing prompts for May and every month of the year!
Ok, ready for some fun ways to celebrate National Astronaut Day with kids this year? We’ve got plenty of ideas for you! Since National Astronaut Day is meant to encourage increasing knowledge about space exploration and the lives of astronauts, our suggestions are all about outer space, rockets, and even unknown life forms! Sweet!
21 Ways to Celebrate National Astronaut Day with Kids on May 5!
- Explore NASA’s website for kids!
- Eat like an astronaut! Try some freeze-dried Astronaut Foods!
- Read some books about space exploration.
- Celebrate National Astronaut Day by watching a movie about space!
- Make your own paper mache solar system.
- Walk like an astronaut in some moon shoes!
- Write a letter to an astronaut!
- Watch NASA TV!
- Send a postcard to outer space!
- Plan a pretend visit to Kennedy Space Center in Florida. Better yet, plan an actual trip there!
- Pretend you’re an astronaut studying rocks on the moon with this DIY astronaut glove box.
- Visit the Roswell, NM Visitor Center website to learn about how this town has been linked to aliens!
- Launch some stomp rockets in the backyard! Make it a friendly competition by seeing whose rocket can go the highest!
- Try your luck at gardening on Mars.
- Celebrate National Astronaut Day by making a bottle rocket using everyday items in your home!
- Gaze at the stars in the night sky.
- Plan a trip to visit the Space Center in Houston, TX!
- Make a list of songs that are about space, astronauts, aliens, planets, etc….then listen to them! This website should help you get started!
- Celebrate National Astronaut Day by making your own rocket using a large cardboard box! If you don’t have one, a friend or family member might!
- Make up your own alien secret language…and use it to communicate!
- Hungry? Make an alien snack or two! As a bonus, you might even consider eating those snacks while watching a movie about aliens!
I bet there are SO many more fun ways you and your kids could celebrate National Astronaut Day, but….really…do you want to be reading an article all day or would you rather be headed off to your own out-of-this world day of family fun?!
That’s what I thought! If you have any other ways you and your family like to celebrate National Astronaut Day, send me an email! I’d love to hear your suggestions and might even add them to the list!
I hope you have a blast celebrating National Astronaut Day on May 5 with the kids! As always, feel free to share any photos or tag That Homeschool Family on Instagram or Facebook. We’d love to see how your family was able to celebrate National Astronaut Day together!