17 Fun Ways to Celebrate National Weather Observers day with Kids!
This article may include affiliate links. If you use those links to make a purchase, we may earn a commission at no extra cost to you. For more information, please see That Homeschool Family disclaimer here. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Planning on celebrating National Weather Observers Day with the kids this year and looking for some fun activities? We can help! Our list of 17 ways to celebrate National Weather Observers Day, on May 4, with your family should make for a great time and maybe even some gorgeous garden blooms!
Now, before we get to the list, one way we celebrate National Weather Observers Day on May 4, and every other national day throughout the year during our homeschool day, is to do a quick writing prompt! Depending on the day, a quick National Day writing prompt will take my boys no more than 10 minutes to do and serves as a fun way to chat about the national day theme for the day! Whether you’re homeschooling your kids, teaching elementary-level students, or just looking for a fun way to get them writing, you should totally check out our National Day writing prompts for May and every month of the year!
Ok, ready for some fun ways to celebrate National Weather Observers Day with kids this year? We’ve got plenty of ideas for you! Since National Weather Observers Day is meant to encourage you to…obviously…observe the weather and get more in touch with the world around you, many of the suggestions do take place outdoors and can be done with or without siblings.
17 Ways to Celebrate National Weather Observers Day with Kids on May 4!
- Watch the morning news together to get the daily forecast.
- Predict the weather for the next week. Then, see how accurate your guesses are as the week goes by.
- Read books about the weather together
- Know how to crochet? Start a temperature blanket and keep track of the temperature all year long.
- Make a Barometer using materials you probably already have at home.
- Celebrate National Weather Observers Day by preparing for future inclement weather by getting a new raincoat, umbrella, snow boots, or scarf!
- Make a list of your favorite vacation spots and compare their current weather to the weather in your area. Take it a step further and plan a vacation to enjoy their weather!
- Take a survey among your friends and family to see what kind of weather they enjoy most. Which do they not like the most?
- Watch a movie that has to do with weather. The Wizard of Oz, Twister, and Frozen are just a few of many!
- Celebrate National Weather Observers Day by listening to songs about weather! Here’s a list to help you get started.
- Get the art supplies out and make some weather art!
- Plan ahead for the winter by learning how to make it snow!
- Head to Google to research the history behind rain dances.
- Learn about the weather! Check your streaming services or YouTube for options!
- Celebrate National Weather Observers Day by adding a rain gauge to your yard – summer thunderstorms are coming!
- Make a mini weather station observatory!
- Lay a blanket out in your yard and…observe the weather! See how many figures and shapes you can find in the clouds!
I bet there are SO many more fun ways you and your kids could celebrate National Weather Observers Day, but….really…do you want to be reading an article all day or do you want to be enjoying a day filled with family fun?!
That’s what I thought! If you have any other ways you and your family like to celebrate National Weather Observers Day, send me an email! I’d love to hear your suggestions and might even add them to the list!
I hope you have a blast celebrating National Weather Observers Day on May 4 with the kids! As always, feel free to share any photos or tag That Homeschool Family on Instagram or Facebook. We’d love to see how your family was able to celebrate National Weather Observers Day together!